Giant Welsh Oggie Recipe
Step aside, Cornish pasty, we all love you; that is without question but let’s let this big boy get a moment in the sun. The Welsh Oggie is their version, and its origins are not dissimilar, but these pasties are bigger and, coming as they do from Wales, contain lamb and leeks.
Giant Welsh Oggie ingredients
- 300g shortcrust pastry
For the Filling:
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25 grams leeks, cleaned and finely sliced
- 225g waxy potatoes (try a Maris Piper or similar)
- 225g lamb (cut into small chunks)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 220°C and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Divide the pastry into two and roll each half into a round approx. 22cm across. Cover with a cloth and leave to one side.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, add the chopped leeks, cook gently for 5 mins, add the potato, and cook for a further 5.
- Add the lamb and cook for two minutes to brown the meat; pop a lid on and cook slowly for 6 minutes, then season with salt and pepper and leave to cool.
- Divide the filling into two and place it on one side of the two pastry circles. Brush around the edges with egg and fold the circle over and press to create a tight seal. Crimp the edges neatly and brush the Oggie all over with the beaten egg.
- Place the pasties on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes; reduce the oven to 180 °C and cook for 30 mins more until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold; it’s up to you.
1st December 2022 @ 12:16 pm
Do we now expect arguments about the origin of Oggie. (I remember rugby clubs shouting “Oggie, oggie oggie” even though they weren’t Welsh)
6th December 2022 @ 5:55 pm
It’s an age-old argument, Carolyn. You’re right, lots of non-Welsh rugby clubs shout the Oggies. I think this explanation of its origins may be close to being factually correct: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/%3E%3E+Where+exactly+are+the+origins+of+the+Welsh+Oggie%3F-a0581974203
1st December 2022 @ 1:18 pm
That sounds delicious, Beth! I love leeks. Actually, leek and potato pie is fabulous. I have a feeling it stems from Wales too.
6th December 2022 @ 5:50 pm
It truly is, Val. Yes, you’re quite right. Leek and Potato Pie is a Welsh recipe, I’ll be including a delicious version Fat Dogs Wales. 🙂
Sally Jane Smith
2nd December 2022 @ 4:43 am
Oh my, that sounds good.
Now I just need someone to cook it for me 😉
6th December 2022 @ 5:48 pm
Good point, Sally. I’m sure Elaine would be happy to oblige!
2nd December 2022 @ 10:51 pm
Yum! Thank you for sharing!
6th December 2022 @ 5:46 pm
It truly is, Paula!