Lindy’s Welsh Chicken and Leek Hotpot (aka Mrs Hughes)
A variation of this dish was made by one of Lindy’s favourite school dinner ladies, Mrs Hughes.
Welsh Chicken and Leek Hotpot ingredients
- 4 skinless chicken breasts cut into nuggets
- 4 small fresh leeks (or 2 medium, but the smaller are sweeter) sliced into 1cm rounds
- 4 medium potatoes finely sliced
- 200 ml of cooled chicken or vegetable stock
- 100 ml of Welsh cider (or dry white wine)
- 3 tbsp of double cream
- 1 heaped tbsp of cornflour (corn starch)
- 2 tsp of snipped fresh chives
- A good glug of olive oil
- A large knob of butter
- Salt to season
- A heavy, preferably cast iron casserole with a lid
- Greaseproof paper
- Gently sauté the leeks in olive oil until soft, taking care not to brown and cover the bottom of the casserole and allow to cool a little.
- In a blender mix together the stock, wine, cream, cornflour and add salt to taste, then stir in the chives.
- Place the chicken nuggets on top of the leeks and cover with the cream mixture.
- Arrange the potato slices in layers, dotting with a little butter in between the layers.
- Cut a circle of the greaseproof paper just larger than the casserole lid and brush with olive oil.
- Place the paper oil side down on the top of the potatoes and cover firmly with the lid to make a tight seal.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees / gas mark 4 for two hours until the chicken and potatoes are tender.
- Remove the paper and turn up the heat to 220 / gas mark 7 for 10 – 15 mns or until the top potatoes are crisp, but not burnt.